39 Haunting Photos That You Will Never Forget, #6 Will Break You Down
Photography has the power to capture more than just pretty landscapes and family portraits. It can capture history and oftentimes the emotion of actually being there. This is exactly what these 39 photos do. From life and death, to war and those amazing moments of rare beauty in unexpected places. They tell us more about the human experience and our place in the universe than words ever could.
1. In 1967, 17-year-old Jan Rose Kasmir offers a flower to soldiers during an anti-war protest outside the Pentagon.
2. Brazilian police fire on a man during protests against corruption and police brutality in 2013.
3. Sergeant Frank Praytor looks after a kitten during the height of the Korean War in 1952.
30. The first McDonald's in 1948.
4. A curious Afghan girl holds the hand of a female American soldier.
5. A South Korean man cries as his North Korean brother waves after inter-Korean temporary family reunions.
6. Thania Sayne leaning on her husband's headstone the day before their wedding anniversary.
7. A tribal Chhetri woman in Nepal.
8. Captain Donald Spindler saves 6-year-old Aaliyah Frazier from a fire in Indiana.
9. Violinist, Nancy Dinovo, cries during a service at Christ Church Cathedral in Vancouver for the 9/11 victims.
10. Ballet students at Rwanda's only classical ballet school.
11. "100,000 monks in prayer for a better world"
12. Punk rock skater girls in Tehran, Iran.
13. A Mursi tribe woman sees Vogue magazine for the first time.
14. Spreading the love of punk rock.
15. A doctor monitors vitals after 23 hour long heart transplant surgery in 1987. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
16. The patient survived and actually outlived his doctor.
17. A Ukrainian protester plays piano during riots in the capital city Kiev.
18. Celebration as Minnesota legalizes gay marriage
19. What life is all about.
20. Finding beauty in unexpected places.
21. "I'll see you soon."
22. Stay strong.
23. Bus riders in China save a woman who attempted suicide.
24. A child is passed through barbed wire to his grandparents at a refugee camp during the Kosovo War.
25. Looking ahead.
26. Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after serving in Iraq for 7 months
27. Taking pictures on the beach in Atlantic City, 1912.
28. Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012
29. Helen of Many Glacier Hotel, a Native American Phone Operator in 1925.
31. An old WW2 Russian tank veteran finally found the old tank in which he passed through the entire war standing in a small Russian town as a monument
32. A woman sits amidst the wreckage caused by a massive earthquake and ensuing tsunam, in Natori, northern Japan, in March 2011
33. Young man just found out his brother was killed
34. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1940.
35. Lithuanian man in shock after accidentally hitting and killing an eight year old.
36. A couple in West Berlin peers over the Berlin Wall as the woman speaks to her mother on the other side.
37. Hhaing The Yu, 29, holds his face in his hand as rain falls on the decimated remains of his home near Myanmar's capital of Yangon (Rangoon). In May 2008, cyclone Nargis struck southern Myanmar, leaving millions homeless and claiming more than 100,000 lives
38. Eduard Bloch was Hitler's Jewish physician. Bloch was protected by the German secret police and fled the country to the United States before the war began.
39. A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia, in 2009